November 15, 2018
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and Christmas will be here before you know it. The holiday season is an opportunity to spend time with family and loved ones and share glad tidings and joy. However, if you have chipped, misshapen or discolored teeth, it can be difficult to want to partake in all the festivities. You may dread showing up to the office holiday party or smiling wide for the family Christmas card photo. However, with modern cosmetic dentistry, you don’t have to hide your smile. Keep reading to learn how a cosmetic dentist can transform your teeth and boost your confidence with porcelain veneers.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin, custom-designed shells that fit on the front of teeth to fix minor dental flaws like stained or misshapen teeth, or to completely rejuvenate an entire smile!
Porcelain veneer treatment involves just a few simple steps:
- To firmly bond a veneer to your tooth, a thin layer of enamel – usually less than a millimeter – is first removed
- The selected teeth are cleaned, polished and etched prior to bonding
- A dentist will then apply a special cement to the veneer and place the veneer on the tooth
- Lastly, he or she will bond the veneer to the top of the tooth using a light-sensitive resin and special curing light
The entire process typically only requires two or three trips to the dentist, including the initial consultation.
What are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
Here are 4 primary benefits of porcelain veneers:
- Natural appearance – Veneers blend in seamlessly with the rest of your smile thanks to their translucent quality.
- Whiter smile – You can turn your smile several shades whiter with porcelain veneers, which are also more resistant to stains from coffee and other dark foods and drinks
- Fast recovery – Once the placement procedure is complete you can immediately continue with your day’s plans
- Long-term solution – Rejuvenate your smile for not only this holiday season but many to come. Veneers typically last from 7 to 15 years with proper care
How to Maintain Porcelain Veneers
Caring for your new beautiful smile with veneers is very similar to how you should treat your natural teeth. Be sure to brush twice a day for a full two minutes each time, and floss at least once a day to remove bits of food stuck between teeth.
If you think or know you grind your teeth at night, talk to a dentist about wearing a nighttime mouth guard to protect your porcelain veneers from damage.
Lastly, be sure to visit the dentist for a routine dental checkup and exam every six months as recommended by the American Dental Association.
Don’t let insecurities about your smile make you miss out on all the holiday celebrations. Talk to a cosmetic dentist today about how porcelain veneers can transform your appearance by giving you the perfect smile you deserve.
About the Author
Dr. Prachi Shah has spent over a decade helping patients achieve the healthy and beautiful smiles they have always wanted. Patients interested in fixing flaws in their smile can contact Dr. Shah via the South Arlington Dental Care website or by calling the office at 817-860-2222.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.